Casket - you can have a simple pine wood casket. Monks in Canada make them starting at $1,500. They also note your rights that you should know when dealing with a funeral home in Canada.
Our ancestors did things simply and buried or burned their dead. Now a days there is much fanfare and business around funerals. The song by Great Big Sea - The Night Pat Murphy Died gives a great overview of a simple funeral. When you died they dressed you at home, put you in a casket maybe made by your family and they 'waked' you at the house or Church.
In the simplest terms you can have the following:
- bury the person right away and you don't need to embalm them
- build your own casket or purchase a simple pine box as noted by the monks business above (it is what they use to bury themselves)
- host the wake at home or Church and hold the service from those locations too
- create a simple and long lasting head stone, concrete maybe
- where you can bury or scatter ashes is definitely regulated check your local sources
Government regulations are the only thing you need to be well versed in - here is a consumer handbook to review.
Just know you have choices to have an inexpensive and simple funeral according to your needs and loved ones wishes.