Hope you enjoy it as much.
Servings: 6-8 servings
- 2 Tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 Large onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 (1 inch) piece of cinnamon stick (or add 1Tbsp dried)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger fresh is best but dried will do
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 cup each of peas (I used cut up brussel sprouts), carrots, potato
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chilis
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa grain (rinsed)
- 1 cup uncooked rice
water as directed
Optional: Garnish with toasted almonds and/or a tomato chutney (I made a homemade one this year - yum!)
1. Saute onion with ghee or oil until they start to turn a little brown - add in cumin seeds, cinnamon and saute a few minutes more. Add in garlic, ginger, tomato and 1/2 cup of water and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
2. Add in all remaining ingredients except the rice/quinoa. Stir and cook for about 4 minutes.
3. Put in 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add in rice/quinoa and cook at a simmer until rice/quinoa are cook with no remaining water.